Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Happiest Place on Earth

After the cruise, Adam, Adam's sister Melanie, Melanie's fiance Adam Login (henceforth to be known on this blog as Login) and I rented a car and drove to Orlando for a four-day Disney vacation. I had thought this would be a cheap add-on to the cruise vacation, which it wasn't (Disney is expensive!), and a good opportunity to hang out with my sister-in-law and soon-to-be-brother-in-law, which it was.

I had never been to Disney World (although I went to Disney Land once in seventh grade), and I expected to love it. I'm a total sucker for fairy tales, happy endings and classic Americana. To my surprise, though, I felt lukewarm about Disney World. I loved the nostalgia element, but I wish there had been more there for adults, like Six Flags-type rides and behind-the-scenes looks at the history of Disney. I also found the endless cheer and cleanliness kind of creepy, in a Stepford Wives sort of way.

Anyway, here we are in front of Cinderella's Castle at the Magic Kingdom:


And I took this great picture as we were spinning (very quickly!) in a teacup at the Mad Tea Party:

Coming soon: our road trip through Minnesota and South Dakota!

No comments: