Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Last Vacation Post

I was waiting for Adam to post about the rest of our vacation, but he's been very busy lately, so I guess it's up to me.


After the Laura Ingalls Wilder fun, we went to the Badlands, which Adam really liked (that's him on that rock formation):


Mount Rushmore:



Custer State Park, where we saw bison:


Wind Cave, where we did the "Natural Entrance Cave Tour," walking through the middle level and seeing the boxwork (a rare cave formation):


And, finally, the Corn Palace in Mitchell, South Dakota. The Corn Palace tradition started in 1892, when early settlers displayed the fruits of their harvest on the building exterior in order to prove the fertility of South Dakota soil. Today, it's basically just a sports arena.

After finishing our trip out West, we spent a week with my Dad and family in Wisconsin. For some reason, we didn't take any pictures, but we did finally get a chance to relax and unwind at the cabin in Northern Wisconsin. And we learned to play ladder ball. That game rocks!

2 comments:

Nikki said...

I LOVE the corn palace! I've been there four times... so did you buy all sorts of silly corn-related items?

:)

Shana tova!

Michelle said...

I was tempted, but I wanted silly corn souvenirs that said "Corn Palace" on them. The ones they had didn't say Corn Palace -- they were the same types of things you could get at any kitchenware store. So I didn't buy anything, other than an ice cream sandwich. :-)