Wednesday, July 09, 2008

How do you solve a problem like Maria?

I just got home from Israel Musicals' production of The Sound of Music. I wasn't sure what to expect from an amateur, English-language production in Israel, but I enjoyed it! The women who played Maria and the Mother Abbess were amazing, as was the 14-year-old who played Liesl. (Sadly, the men in the cast couldn't quite keep up with the women, but the men are much less important in this show, anyway.) For three hours, I was transported to Austria in 1938.

Except for a few touches that reminded me that I'm in Jerusalem. First, the actors playing Nazis wore red arm bands without swastikas. I thought that was a wise choice; you never know who might be in the audience. Second, none of the actresses playing nuns wore crosses or rosary beads. Third, the girl who played Liesl is shomeret negiah, and the blocking took that into account. It was actually quite well done, and I might not have noticed if I hadn't known from the start. There was also a woman who had her hair covered both onstage and in her picture in the program, and I assume her costuming was making allowances for her religious preferences, although again, I probably wouldn't have noticed had I not been sensitive to the issue from the start.

I was actually really touched by all of these small details. Where else in the world can a young girl who's shomeret negiah (and, presumably, shomeret Shabbat) play Liesl? Some days, I really love this country.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you can shed some light on this...why didn't any of the actresses playing the nuns wear crosses or rosaries? Not like Jerusalem doesn't have it's share of christians roaming the streets (especially the old city). Anyway, I was a little surprised & confused by that. Glad you enjoyed the show though.

Michelle said...

For one explanation, see Cheryl Forbes, "Judaism Under the Secular Umbrella [An Interview with Chaim Potok]," Christianity Today, 8 September 1978. Discussing the symbol of the cross in his book My Name Is Asher Lev, Potok says:

"To his parents it's what the crucifixion is to most Jews-—even to many secular Jews, by the way. It is and remains, and probably will remain for a long time, a triggering mechanism for images of rivers of Jewish blood. Countless Jews have been slain through the centuries for the deicide charge. That's what the crucifixion instantaneously triggers in traditional Jews and probably in most secularist Jews."

How much this holds true for today's younger generations of Jews, I'm not sure.

Anonymous said...

As regards crosses -

Maybe some Jewish actresses felt uncomfortable wearing religious symbols from another religion, and so the just took them off of all the costumes.

Anonymous said...

Michelle, thanks for the explanation. I hadn't really thought of that at first but that part makes sense. Although having said that, I think one of the challenges (and interesting) parts of acting is putting your belief system aside and let yourself be absorb by the character you're playing.

Michelle said...

Leave it to Tovah to find the simple, logical explanation. ;-)