Thursday, June 19, 2008

Jewish Republicans

Yesterday, I read an article for my class "The Jewish World Today: U.S. Jewry" that really agitated me. It was called "The Jewish Social Welfare Lobby in the United States," by Joel M. Carp, from a book called Jewish Polity and American Civil Society. The article was basically celebrating the organized Jewish community, and the Federations in particular, for successfully lobbying on the side of various social welfare issues -- against the tax cuts of the evil Reagan administration and the "draconian provisions" of later pieces of Republican legislation.

As my green highlighter whipped furiously across the pages, I kept thinking to myself, who decided that government social welfare programs are the realization of the imperative of tikkun olam? Moreover, who elected the Federation spokesperson for all American Jews? What about those of us who believe in limited government, free enterprise and personal responsibility -- do we have a voice (as Jews, that is) in Washington?

Not having the time for more than a token protest, I added a new link to this blog, right. (J, thinking of you!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

With all due respect to your backing McCain, it's been a couple decades or longer since Republicans stood for limited government (i.e. record deficits), free anything including enterprise (think drug bill), and personal responsibility (think George Bush).

Michelle said...

Of course, the more libertarian-minded fiscal conservatives and the Religious Right social conservatives are struggling for the soul of the Republican Party. And those in the latter category are endlessly frustrating to those of us who fall into the former, who are fiscally conservative and socially liberal, who support lower taxes, free trade, deregulation and welfare reform while still supporting some "liberal" action items like gay rights and stem cell research. But, I still believe that my home is in the Republican Party, not the Democratic Party.

Anonymous said...

That was well put and I wish there more Republicans like you as more might get done if there was. I consider myself independent and am not even sure I'll vote yet simply because I think the system is so broken and corrupt that it may be beyond repair. I wish we had a serious multi-party system as it would give us real choice and put pressure on those elected to perform.

Avi said...

Michelle, I thought you knew that it was a bigger sin to vote Republican than to eat a bacon cheeseburger on Yom Kippur!

So sad. And, yes, it is time that the libertarian-minded strengthened (in both parties).